(Get Answer) – Write A 500 750 Word Analysis In Which You Compare The Work Of Caravaggio And Rembrandt Organize Your Post Based On The Following Criteria
Rembrandt, Prodigal Son, Oil on Canvas, 1661-69 Caravaggio, Young Sick Bacchus, Oil on Canvas, 1593
Rembrandt and Caravaggio are considered to be two of the greatest and most influential artists in the history of Western art. Both created their work during the Baroque period, but each artist was from a different geographical region and each was driven to create by different societal forces and for different personal reasons. Consider these issues as you write your Discussion post.
In this Discussion, you will post a 500-750 word analysis in which you will compare the work of Caravaggio and Rembrandt, then explain which of these two artists you find to be more powerful or moving. You will justify your opinions based on key ideas and concepts from the reading and videos, as well as your own ideas and insights.
This Discussion is worth 100 points. Please read the Grading Rubric before you begin.
- Your initial Discussion post is due by Sunday, November 10, at 11:59 p.m
- Your responses to posts by at least two different classmates is due by Sunday, November 17, at 11:59 p.m.
Before you begin, complete the reading and study guides found on pages 292-297 of Artforms.
Step One: Watch the videos (below)
Watch each of the excellent videos, at the bottom of this page, to gain a solid understanding about the life and work of Baroque artists Rembrandt and Caravaggio. Watch enough of the videos so that you understand the societal forces and personal reasons that drove each of these artists to create. As you watch each video, do the following:
- Take notes that include key ideas and concepts, as well as your own ideas and insights.
- Identify and list a few works by each artist that you find to be the most powerful and/or moving.
- Based on what you have learned, select your favorite artist.
Step Two: Post in the Discussion board
Write a 500-750 word analysis in which you compare the work of Caravaggio and Rembrandt. Organize your post based on the following criteria.
- Post an image of a painting by the artist you selected and explain how it is a good example of the artist’s overall style and approach to painting.
- What about it do you like most? The formal characteristics? The narrative? The content? Explain your choice.
- What personal and/or societal forces drove the artist you selected to approach their work in such a unique and powerful way? Briefly describe and explain them.
- Why do you prefer the artist you selected over the other artist? Explain your reasoning.
Be sure to write your initial post in the first “reply” box you see below this page.
Step Three: Respond to your Classmates
Next, review the posts of your classmates. Post a cogent and thoughtful response to a post by two different classmates (at least 100 words each). Add a new insight to the discussion that helps the reader better understand the work of Rembrandt and Caravaggio. Consider the following:
- Do you agree with your classmate’s analysis and interpretation? Why or why not?
- Did they leave out something important? If you think so, introduce this to the discussion.
- Did you find something interesting in the post, but you don’t fully understand? Politely ask them to clarify for you.
Respond to the response. If someone asks you a question or provides some other insight, please respond thoughtfully and courteously to that.
This Discussion topic is broadly framed and there is no right or wrong answer. Instead, you will be graded on how well you demonstrate your ability to think clearly about this topic and to logically support your ideas with concepts from the reading and videos.
Before you submit your Discussion post, take a little more time to proofread your work to make sure that what you write actually conveys what you intend to say. Your answers must be clearly-written, well-supported, grammatically correct, and free of spelling and punctuation errors. This is a college level assignment!
Please review the Grading Rubric before you begin.
Earn a High Grade
- Before you begin, read all of the instructions, as well as the rubric.
- Focus on the key ideas contained in the reading and videos.
- Write concise and complete sentences that clearly convey what you intend to say.
- Write in third person, present tense, as much as possible.
- An outline may help. Organize what you plan to say before you write.
- Support your statements with careful observations about the art.
- Include your own insights that support your key points.
Click this link for instructions on how to view assignment comments from your instructor. (Links to an external site.)
Please watch this four-part video series about the life and art of Rembrandt. This is part one.
As you watch the video, pay close attention to both the form and context of Rembrandt’s life and work. Take note of the formal stylistic characteristics as well as the personal and/or societal forces that drove Rembrant to approach his work in such a unique and powerful way.
Please watch this four-part video series about the life and art of Caravaggio. This is part one.
As you watch the video, pay close attention to both the form and context of Caravaggio’s life and work. Take note of the formal stylistic characteristics as well as the personal and/or societal forces that drove Caravaggio to approach his work in such a unique and powerful way.